SARAH RAYMUNDO is an Assistant Professor from the University of the Philippines (UP) Diliman's Department of Sociology, College of Social Sciences and Philosophy. She's been teaching in UP for ten years. She has met, and even exceeded, the minimum requirements for tenure. Why then, after a year since she applied for tenure, is Prof. Raymundo being denied permanent status in the university?

Sarah is the Secretary-General of the Congress of Teachers/Educators for Nationalism and Democracy (CONTEND), Treasurer of the Alliance of Concerned Teachers (ACT) National Council, and an active member of the All UP Academic Employees Union (AUPAEU).

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Delia Aguilar on Sarah's Case

Dr. Clemen Aquino
Chair, Department of Sociology
College of Social Sciences and Philosophy
University of the Philippines
Diliman 1101, Quezon City

Dear Dr. Aquino:

I am writing to express my dismay over the decision not to tenure Professor Sarah Raymundo who has taught in the Sociology Department for nine years. From what I can gather, she completed her Master's degree within the required time and has exceeded the minimum requirements for tenure based on her performance in teaching, research, and extension service. The way in which she was notified about non-renewal was particularly disturbing.

In the interest of fairness and transparency, it would serve both the Sociology Department and the University of the Philippines well to review the case of Professor Raymundo and to grant her the tenure that she fully deserves.

UP is my alma mater (my father was Dean of the College of Education) and although I graduated a long time ago (1957, AB English), I remember fondly the teachers who taught me, and wonder whether the independent-minded among them were also subjected to similar treatment. My first teaching position after getting my degree was in UP Los Banos. In 1987 I had occasion to return to my homeland and teach there again, this time in Diliman. It troubles me to hear news like this about UP circulating not only in the Philippines but also in academies abroad. Suffice it to say that it blemishes the good reputation of the University of the Philippines.

Sincerely,

Delia D. Aguilar


Delia D. Aguilar
Visiting Irwin Chair in Women's Studies
Hamilton College
198 College Hill Road
Clinton, NY 13323
(315) 859-4439

No comments: